Character in reference to literature is a person depicted in a narrative or drama. Choosing the right name for a character is key because it should give the reader a feel for the type of person he or she is. You can find character names from all sorts of resources: the newspaper obituaries, high school and college yearbooks, people you know or the phone book white pages either in print or online.
Here are some guidelines to consider when choosing names:
- Choose a name with meaning.
- Select a name that’s age-appropriate
- Pick a name that reflect the time period of the story
- Consider the character’s heritage
- Make the names easy to tell apart
- Avoid names that sound the same
The list goes on and on. Below are some links to websites that have of names of all kinds: Trendy, Greek, Spanish, British, and Historical.